[Callers] Applause or Not...

Perry Shafran via Callers callers at lists.sharedweight.net
Thu Apr 23 05:57:40 PDT 2015

Erik (and all),
You certainly hit on one of the issues for me.  I remember calling in one community with a pretty well-known popular band, and I gave the band their props, as I usually do, but I could not get the dancers to applaud the band.  Maybe a bit more at the end of the night, but not much during the dance.  OK, I might not be the most well-known popular callers but the band is and travelled a long way for not a lot of money and some appreciation would be nice.
OTOH, I was in another community, with a local band, and I and the band got TONS of applause that night.  It really made me special and as a result put that community in a special place in my heart.  I was grateful.  The other community kind of gave me that "eh" feeling.  Maybe I called better dances in the place I got applause, or maybe I explained things better, I don't know.

I know that when I'm dancing I always give applause to all bands and callers.  Even if they had off nights.  They are all part of our community, too, and communities support bands and callers.
Perry