[Callers] 1820s-1830s Dances

Jacob Nancy Bloom jandnbloom at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 12:37:51 PDT 2014

First, a note: Ralph Page's Heritage Dances of Early America contains
dances with publication dates from 1788 to 1817, relying heavily on the
Saltator manuscript of 1807.  It was indeed published in 1976, by the Lloyd
Shaw Foundation.

As for teaching Colonial Dance to children, here are the main points:

1. Chip Hendrickson's book Colonial Social Dancing for Children (CSDfC)
spells out how Chip would have presented colonial dance in a school setting
over a course of six lessons.

2. CSDfC was expanded from Chip's earlier book, A Colonial Dancing
Experience (CDE), which is long out of print.  While the additional
material in CSDfC is valuable, CDE explains how to teach colonial era
footwork a bit more concisely.  The one-session colonial dance workshops
that my wife and I bring into schools are based heavily upon the program
outlined in CDE.  (More information about them is available at
www.dancehistoryalive.com)

3. Neither CSDfC nor CDE suggests that it is possible to teach an authentic
triple minor progression contra to school children in a small number of
lessons.  The adapted "colonial style" dances which are suggested for
children are mostly four-couple whole set longways dances, with the top
couple moving to the bottom of the set at the end of the dance.  CSDfC also
has some three couple longways dances where the first couple dances a
figure with the second couple, goes down the center, return and cast off,
and then does the same figure with the third couple, and the new couple at
the top starts the dance the next time through.  CSDfC has true duple minor
contras introduced in the fifth of the six lessons.  I had a third grade
group last year that I was able to do a second session with, and I
successfully did a duple minor contra with them in the second session, but
it was a duple minor with a progression that was both understandable and
forgiving: towards the couple below forward and back, pass through and bow
to the new couple you meet.

4. Rich, Patricia Campbell has also taught colonial dance based on Chip's
program.  If you're going to the get-together at her place tomorrow, ask
her about it.  (I won't be able to make it this year.)

5. Every book of carefully researched colonial dances has to rely on the
only available printed sources about dance of the period, and those
sources, whether books written by dancing masters or notes taken by the
students of dancing masters about the dances they had learned, are talking
about dancing as taught by people who new what was the latest fashion to
people with the money to learn the most fashionable dances.  This leaves
open the question of what kind of dancing was being done out in the country
by people who had never taken lessons.  Dudley Laufman has written his
opinion on that subject on a web page on his site, at
http://old.laufman.org/Schools.htm   Other authorities claim that the
common people would have danced cut-out reels, meaning that they would have
done a hey for four, stopping sometimes to do footing steps to one of the
other dancers, and with new people taking the place of one of the dancers
when they felt like getting into the dance.

My own colonial dance workshops consist of a brief explanation to the
students of why they would have wanted to learn to dance if they had lived
in colonila times, teaching set, balance, beaten step, rigadoon, and
chassee steps, getting the students into four couple longways sets and
teaching a whole-set longways dance that lets them practice the footwork,
and then teaching a colonial-era singing game.

I hope that's of use to you.

Jacob Bloom