[Callers] Sets In Order online

James Saxe jim.saxe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 18:56:24 PST 2014

In my recent long message about the history of "Cross Trail Thru",
I mentioned that the complete run of _Sets In Order_ (a/k/a _Square
Dancing_) magazine has been put online and is accessible at:

      http://digitaldu.coalliance.org/fedora/repository/codu:59239

I think this is a terrific resource, and not only for those of us
interested in historical minutiae.  Especially in the first ten
years or so of publication, there were lots of dances either
suitable for use or easily adapted for use by "traditional"-style
square callers.

On Jan 7, 2014, at 3:48 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:

>   It seems like large chunks of the set are missing and many are
> mislabeled.  For example if you look at March of 1955 you actually
> get March of 1954 instead.  However, since they aren't sorted in
> chronological order it's hard to tell for sure what is, or isn't,
> missing.

I don't think large chunks are missing, but they are indeed sorted
into a very strange order.  Issues within the volumes are generally
sorted "alphabetically" by number:

      1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

And the volumes are in a weird and irregular order

      First Vols. 1, 10-15
      then the isolated number Vol. 17, No. 12
      then Vols. 18, 19, 2, 21, 3-9, 16,
      then the rest of Vol. 17
      then Vols. 22-37

Jonathan is correct that attempting to access the March 1955 issue
gets you to the March 1954 issue.  I don't know how many errors
of this sort there are or where to report this one.

There's a box labeled "Search within titles", but it doesn't work
for me.  I'm running Safari, Version 5.0.6.  I'd be interested in
knowing whether that search box works for people running other
browsers.

Clicking the tab labeled "Advanced Search" gets you to

      http://digitaldu.coalliance.org/advanced_search

Queries there search a larger corpus of which the _Sets In Order_
collection is only a part.  To keep search results from getting
polluted with lots of irrelevant hits, you can search for "Sets
In Order" in "Titles" together with some other phrase in "Full
Text".

Once you have a single issue displayed in your browser (or
downloaded and displayed in a PDF viewer), the PDF is full-text
searchable.  The OCR seems generally to be pretty good, though
some text in unusual fonts or white-on-black (as in some of the
headings and some of the ads) hasn't been scanned.

--Jim