[Callers] Programming on-the-fly

Keith Tuxhorn keithlmt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 10:05:13 PST 2014

Welcome to the tribe, Danielle! There are lots of good suggestions here,
including a very detailed approach from Sue that shows how personalized you
approach can be, according to the way you like to do things. I'll just
say/re-say thing in my way:

-Never marry yourself to your program. Not as a beginner, not if you've
called for 20 years. It's hard at the start because you simply don't have
enough knowledge, and enough dances in your box, to adjust very much. But
always be ready to make adjustments.

-Ask callers in your area for their favorite beginner dances. Keep those
handy in your box, so you can always find them to fall back on them.

-CDSS sells a good book called "Dances for Beginners" or something like
that. It has lots of simple dances. Buy that, and learn those.

-Remember the dance is never about you. It's about dancers going home
feeling happy and successful, and craving to come back to the next dance.
Please them, not yourself.

-We've all made bad choices at dances, and taught badly, and called badly.
You'll live through it. Laugh at yourself, don't take it too hard, just
remember to always think about what you can do better.

-You can't learn it all at once. Keep collecting dances,calling them, and
paying attention, and asking questions of lots of experienced callers. A
year from now, you will have "this level" down--and you'll have a whole new
level of things to think about!

Keith Tuxhorn
Austin, TX