[Callers] How to devise a program

Jack Mitchell jamitch3 at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 15 13:13:36 PDT 2013

With the proviso that I don't generally plan a complete program ahead of
time....

I have a set of 3-4 dances that are almost always my first dance.
Generally they're very low piece count dances, very forgiving, and with
a limited number of moves.  Most of those first dances don't even have a
chain or a R&L thru -- allemandes, swings, circles and long lines.  One
of them starts and ends in short waves.

After I've seen how they do with that, I will move on to other dances,
adding in a move or two at a time.  I do try to make the first time I
use a chain a chain over and back, or a chain to your neighbor so that
they can have a chance to do it with a bunch of different people.
Generally, I will teach a Hey in the 3rd dance -- almost always a full
hey coming back to a partner balance and swing.  (Butter by Gene Hubert
or delphiniums and dasies by Tonya Rattenburg (know I've misspelled
that).  Sometimes I'll do a mixer as the 3rd or 4th dance.

 From there on out, I am slowly adding new moves, building on what we've
done already, and trying to alternate between smooth and balancy dances
(also trying to keep a variety of "storylines" -- circular dances vs
down the hall vs waves vs unusual progressions or multiple neighbors.

Before the evening starts, I will have picked out  dances that I would
like to work into the program (many more dances than I could actually
do), and if I have one that I really want to make sure I get in, I will
start building the foundation for that...making sure that I work most of
the components into other dances.

I generally aim for the peak of complexity to be shortly after the
break, but to continue to keep the energy level up until the end of the
evening (even though it is with simpler dances).

So that's a sketchy version of what is generally going through my mind
as I'm putting an evening together,  Your mileage may vary. You may want
to plan things ahead more than I do.  If you can come up with an outline
or framework to hang your dances on, I think it will make the actual
programming easier.

Jack