[Callers] First Dance - Adult ONS

Jacob & Nancy Bloom bloom at gis.net
Wed Jan 30 12:17:22 PST 2013

Hi Sue,

Here's something I might use to start off an event like you described:

Start the music going, take someone by the hand, lead them through
the crowd urging people to join onto the end of the line as it snakes
through the room

Lead the line into a circle, and do a few rounds of a Paul Jones to
get people coupled up (Ladies forward and back, gents forward and
back, ladies in and circle left while gents go to the right around
the outside, ladies turn around and swing someone near your, all promenade)

Have everyone promenade into a Grand March, lead the march up the
center of the hall, stop the music and invite the people who have
come in during the above to find a partner and join in at the bottom
of the longways set which has just been created, before doing a dance
in longways formation.

I've had good experiences doing the above, but here are some things
to consider:

If the group were entirely teenagers then I wouldn't do a snake line,
since that age group tends to turn it into Crack-The-Whip.

If the group had more men than women at the start of the dance, then
I might hesitate to use a Paul Jones to get people into couples,
since the men might be hesitant to dance with each other.  It doesn't
matter if the number of gents going forward and back is very
different from the number of ladies going forward and back, as long
as everyone finds someone to swing and promenade with.  However, if
there were many more women than men, I might call for the gents going
forward and back first, then the gents circling on the inside while
the ladies go around the outside.

In some groups, people might be more comfortable doing the first
dance with the partner they brought with them.  When that's the case,
I might start by asking people to line up in couples for a Grand
March.  However, the advantages to getting people moving without
going through the anxiety of choosing a partner, and of getting them
used to changing partners at the beginning of the dance, are obvious.

I hope that's of use to you.

Jacob Bloom