[Callers] Callers Digest, Vol 108, Issue 3

Erik Hoffman erik at erikhoffman.com
Fri Aug 9 17:05:53 PDT 2013

Yes, the Rosin Doctors (a band I'm in) worked up a few numbers for
Halloween, though most were regular tunes we could make spooky, or
characterish -- you know, work in things like Obladee Obladah, or The
Liberty Bell, or Gone Fishin'...  I've know band who have for years
adapted The Adam's Family.  In another band, we did the Munsters, and
Spider Man.  There a lot of great TV tunes out there.

Don't forget Jay Ungar's Hoo Doo Hoedown.

And I wrote a dance, Ghost of a Chance, for Halloween, with a story line
of leaving your partner and only getting a "ghost of a chance" to dance
together:

*Ghost of a Chance*

Becket

A1 On Left Diagonal: Women Chain; Straight across: Half Hey, Women
start, Right shoulder

A2 Neighbor Balance & Swing, end facing in

B1 Circle Left ¾; with Neighbor, California Twirl (to face Partner),
Walk past Parnter, with Shadow, Allemande Left

B2 PartnerSwing

The timing from B1 to B2 is a little busy, but the partner swing is
forgiving.  If dancers are really adept, B2 could be a Partner Gypsy and
Swing.

If you want to make sure the timing is spot on(and you get even more of
a ghost of a chance to dance with your partner) you could use the
original version:

B1 Circle Lft ¾; Balance the Ring, California Twirl, walk past Pt -- R Sh

B2 Walk past Partner, Allemande Left Shadow, return to Partner and Swing

~erik hoffman
     oakland, ca