[Callers] opinions on sound equipment

P. Campbell countrydancecaller at gmail.com
Wed May 23 15:07:56 PDT 2012

Coming out of the shadows here to respond to Peter & Will & others -

My husband Bill spent a long time researching and looking and asking all
kinds of people, including sound equipment sellers (with experience), and
he got a Mackie SRM-150 which is usually used as a monitor (that's what he
uses it for).

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SRM150/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=livesound&utm_term=mackie_srm150&adpos=1t1&gclid=CMbByfmsl7ACFSMDQAod_hjj4w

He uses it for a sound system by itself for small groups. It's only 7
pounds (MUCH lighter than the Roland), loud, and has  2 multi-use XLR/1/4"
plugs and 1 RCA plug).  We mount it on top of a sturdy Hercules microphone
stand, which is much more portable than speaker stands. It mounts
upside-down when mounting it on a microphone stand, but that was not too
confusing.

I've used it in a big multi-purpose room at a town hall where I lead a
weekly traditional country dancing session (mostly trad squares) for
seniors, and it worked wonderfully well.

I wanted something that I could take with my laptop (I'm not at iPod mode
yet, but my music is all in iTunes) and microphone and go.

On a completely different note, take a look at the Yamaha Stagepass 300.
It's not a powered speaker. It's a 2 speaker powered mixer, the PA mixer
module fits right into the back of one of the speakers, and it has 4 XLR
inputs and more....see it here. I often use it with just one speaker. The
detachable PA mixer part is also the amplifier. The speakers weigh just
under 20 pounds each - the mixer/amplifier weighs almost nothing. We use
this for medium-sized gigs where we don't need the full power of the Mackie
and we need more than the SRM 150.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=stagepas+300

Regarding microphones - I used to have an airline 77 wireless headset mic
that I LOVED (and Bill HATED because he always had to tweak the sound
system - usually had to cut off the high end and boost the low). Then it
died and I couldn't even try to get it fixed because of that frequency
ruling - it was one of the ones that became illegal.

I then switched to one that has a belt pack (I do not like belt packs
because I don't wear belts and I'm always having to figure out another
solution), and it was okay (again, had to tweak the sound a lot). I just
recently switched to a Countryman E6 *Directional *and I LOVE it and Bill
LOVES it because he doesn't have to use the whole PA system equalizer to
adjust the low and high ends for all sound - he can just adjust the treble
and bass for that channel (before, he had to use the main equalizer for the
whole system - a Mackie PA/Mixer 800 watts). The sound is great, the mic is
weightless and easy and wonderful.....I just still don't like the belt
pack, but that's the price you pay....speaking of which - it took me a very
long time to decide to spend that much money on a microphone, but as
someone else pointed out, the caller's mic is like the musician's
instrument, and I needed something that would sound really good. I do all
kinds of different types of gigs, from family & community dances to 18th
century balls to school programs to May Fairs, etc. and I can count on it
working well in all kinds of places.

One more thing about wired vs wireless handheld vs wireless headset. I
started out using a wired mic. Then I got a handheld  mic. Then a wireless
headset mic without belt pack, then with belt pack. Now the Countryman E6.
I love having the freedom of a wireless mic for the times I need to either
be dancing with the people or demonstrating things. The handheld mic
sounded good but was too much of a hassle to either move from hand to hand
or have someone hold my elbow instead of my hand. Whether I'm staying up in
front of the band or I'm out on the floor (I'm always visible to the
dancers), I like the freedom of being able to turn or move my head or
whatever and not have to worry about either holding the wired mic or having
my voice drop out because I moved my head away from it.

Patricia

*Patricia Campbell*
*Newtown, CT*
*www.countrydancecaller.com*