[Callers] Changing on the last round for a partner swing

Chris Lahey clahey at clahey.net
Tue Jan 3 22:45:42 PST 2012

As a dancer, I'm always a little disappointed when the dance doesn't
end with a swing, but especially when it ends with new neighbors.
Ladies chain to left hand star is quite disappointing.  I'll even go
so far as to notice the caller isn't doing it and when I see her
signal for the last time through I'll tell my neighbors and we'll make
something up.  There are some dances that end with a neighbor swing,
which I'm fine with.  I don't like the two standards of circle once
around or long lines because my partner is on my right and it's a
little awkward to go into a swing from there, so I'd rather do
something other than that.

As a caller, I try to always end with something interesting.  If I can
make it a swing, I do, but I try to do so in a way that fits with the
dance.  If the dance had a bunch of men alamande, I add a men alamande
once around and go back to your partner.  If the dance has a ladies
chain, left hand star in B2, I might do a ladies alamande right and
swing your partner.

Sometimes I'll end with a petronella twirl.  Another thing I do
sometimes is change something earlier.  If B1 is circle and swing, I
might change it to B1) Circle;  DSD  B2) P bal&sw.  I've even inserted
an extra no-op A2, moved A2 to B1 and B1 to B2

The other thing I do is try to consider this when planning my evening
and end halves and medleys with becket dances (well, other than the
handful that don't end with partner swing.)  This gives the best of
both worlds as you can get out of the way and it ends with a partner
swing.

    Chris