[Callers] Proper use of vocal mic by caller

Donald Perley donperley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 11:09:14 PST 2012

Short answer is it depends on the microphone.

First, they have different patterns of how sensitive they are as you
go off the center axis.  Some are omnidirectional,
some you really have to point at the sound source (sometimes called a
shotgun mic)

A common compromise is called a cardioid mic, because a graph of it's
sensitivity looks like a heart.

The mics that work with the ice cream cone grip are likely omni or cardioid.

Second, some are noise cancelling (may have "nc" in the model number).
 These mics take the difference in signal between the front and back
of the microphone, which will be much larger if  you speak right next
to the mic, and rejects sounds from farther away.  I've used some mics
where your lips pretty much have to be touching the screen. THat
extreme is not my favorite at all, but I guess it helps eliminate
feedback.

I looked up the G3,  and it looks like you can switch the sensor in it
for different patterns.  So hard to say what you are working with now.

-Don