[Callers] Heys for new dancers

Linda Leslie laleslierjg at comcast.net
Wed Feb 15 15:40:24 PST 2012

Tavi wrote:
> -* heys *can be a surprisingly easy move. I recently had a
> conversation
> with another caller who shares the opinion that heys are actually
> easier
> for newbs to properly execute than are ladies chains. The biggest
> problem
> i've noticed with heys is that many experienced dancers seem to
> think of
> them as somehow challenging, and when a caller says they'll be
> teaching a
> hey, experienced dancers will often give some body language or
> comment that
> raises the newbies' affective filter. Our trick as callers is
> figuring out
> how to keep that affective filter down, and deliver the instructions
> for a
> hey as simply as possible.

I agree with Tavi that heys don't have to be perceived as a difficult
move. I use them all the time with newer dancers, using the following
guidelines:
A full hey which occurs anywhere but in the B2 is easier, since the
dancers do not have to progress out of the hey
A hey which ends up with a B & S, or gypsy and S (either P or N) will
smooth over any tendency to get a bit lost. Great dances that are
perfect examples are:
The Carousel by Tom Hinds
Flirtation Reel by Tony Parkes
There are many others!
Sometimes using a dance that introduces a half hey is a great way to
get folks ready for a full hey later on in the evening.
These dances add variety.

One other quick point that I thought about when Emily first posted,
but did not share at the time: I use four in line down the hall quite
a bit with new dancers. I have never found that it caused confusion
about location in space/the dance. Quite the contrary, it gives folks
encouragement to move to the music in a quite natural way, and is
another move that adds variety. I can understand avoiding these dances
because of space constraints. However, four in line down the hall to a
great march makes for wonderful dancing.

Cheers! Linda