[Callers] What is the best contra dance(s) ever written?

James Saxe jim.saxe at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 10:27:06 PST 2012

Jonathan,

Here are some more requirements for your list:

* It must not have a shadow swing.  (Imagine having to swing every
time through with someone you didn't choose [shudder].)
* It must not have any gypsy figures.  (Forced mock flirtation--yuck!)
* The ladies chain must be over and back.  (All those one-way figures
in dances these days seem somehow incomplete.)
* It must not have any "over and back" figures.  (Bo-o-o-oring.)
* It must not have a gents chain (too often danced awkwardly).
* It must have a same-sex swing.
* It must not have a same-sex swing.
* All the figures and transitions must be comfortably familiar.
* It must have at least one excitingly novel figure or transition.
* It must have a special tune that fits it like a glove.
* It must have lots of partner interaction, not just a (balance and)
swing.
* It must separate dancers from their partners and then reunite them
in a surprising (but comfortably familiar) way.
* It must not have out-of-minor-set actions that make for confusing
end effects.
* It must start in improper formation with "New neighbors balance
and swing".
* It must end in Becket formation with "Partners balance and swing".
[BTW, if we only get to pick three best/favorite dances, no two should
start or end the same way.]
* It must be the dance I dance with a superbly skilled partner (who
is also oblivious to any of my own imperfections).
* It must be the dance where my first-time-dancer partner's eyes
light up.

--Jim