[Callers] Yearn / Slice?

Bob Isaacs isaacsbob at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 23 12:43:43 PDT 2012

David and All:

Thanks for sharing A Quarter More, as I was not aware it was the dance that introduced the yearn.  I thought both slice and yearn referred to the same single progression move, and it was a matter of regional taste as to which was used.  I did not invent the term slice, and do not know who did.  But I like the move and use it in my dances a fair amount.  It is an easy and efficient progression in 8 beats, which means there's plenty of time for other ideas.  And yes, Lisa, it has worked in medleys when I know the audience well - even if dancers don't know it, they can easily fake it/figure it out on the fly.

So back in 2006 when a bunch of us wrote Slice of Pinewoods, we thought we were creating a new move, the double slice, but really were just rediscovering George Walker's yearn.  Even so, I prefer the terms slice and double slice, as they indicate the number of progressions (in addition to the yearn/urine issue).  It's also been my experience the double slice is better in long lines rather than going two by two - more connectedness means less possible confusion over which couple to finish across from.

BTW, there's another variant here:

Half a Slice              Becket-L / BI

A1.      8          Half a slice L to a line/4                             (1)
           8          Down hall in line/4 – turn alone

A2.      8          Up hall and bend line
           8          Ladies allemande L 1½

B1.      4,12     Neighbor balance, swing

B2.      6          Circle L ¾
           10        Partner swing – face on L diagonal

(1) – As in a normal slice, go forward towards each other on the L diagonal.  But here the top two dancers (1L and 2G) keep hands joined and the bottom two push off (1G’s L hand and 2L’s R hand) so all face down.  This is an efficient way to get everyone progressed and facing down in 8 beats, so there is time for creative or dramatic push-offs.

Bob