[Callers] (no subject)

Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing winston at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Oct 28 15:38:03 PDT 2011

Dance with a partner and all your friends  -- all at the same time!

(Graphic of a a big circle of people holding hands in a way that connotes
motion.)

[For me, the unique value proposition of country dancing (English, contra,
Irish, Scottish, Regency, Victorian, square) is that you're dancing not only
with your partner but with the whole hall, doing the same patterns and able to
synch up with them.  It helps if the music is awesome, etc, but this is what
this offers that you don't get in ballroom dance (everybody doing different
things to the same music) or Balkan, or whatever, where you don't get to
interact with a partner at all.  I'm not convinced this tagline/graphic gets
that across, but that's what I'm getting at.]

-- Alan

> Great idea Martha!  I like it.  I need to revisit the Ants/Pants thing.  I
> find as a "non-traditional" student that most of the others in my classes,
> while not all 18 but varying ages, greet the word dance with raised eyebrow
> and glances askew.  That word alone seems to be a bit of a "turn off", that
> and my age.  I think they think dancing with the stars and the like. So
> while I am open to all suggestions, we all need to keep in mind, what works
> for one community may not necessarily work for another.  I actually attend
> classes with the sister of one of our premier college dancer promoters (she
> attends another college) but the one at my school works nights that we have
> dances and so cannot bring friends.  I will be checking out our "social
> club" status, have not seen anything listed that suggests that we even HAVE
> such a group.

> Thanks guys, keep the ideas flowing and let's do as Martha suggests and come
> up with a great tag line...one that might work for all dance forms, Irish,
> Scottish, English AND of course our fav...Contra!

> Mary
> QCCD

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Richard Hart <rich at harts.mv.com> wrote:

> > A tagline like, "Come dance with your friends" might work, especially if
> > you can put it on a poster that you give to a few of those college students
> > to post on college walls, and to act as contacts for spreading the word.
> >

> > Martha Edwards remarked on 10/27/2011 10:49 AM:
> >
> >  How right you are, Mary!  Our "messaging" could use a lot of work. We have
> >> fabulous overall message to deliver - community, civility, enjoyment,
> >> exercise, friendliness - if all human endeavors had the mores and customs
> >> of
> >> many of our dance organizations, we'd have a great world to live in. But
> >> it's not a succinct marketing message.
> >>
> >> Spider and others succeeded with her "Ants Pants Contradance - easy
> >> dancing
> >> to live music" but I agree, it would be good to work a bit on finding a
> >> clear, memorable, great tagline. At my company, Extra Mile Design, we
> >> often
> >> work with a wonderful woman, Nancy Schwartz, who is a wizard at helping
> >> people find that message. She runs a tagline contest every year. I think
> >> one
> >> is coming up. We should, collectively, try to come up with a worthy entry.
> >>
> >> Check it out:
> >> http://**nonprofitmarketingtraining.**com/programs-workshops/**
> >> tagline-focus-project/<http://nonprofitmarketingtraining.com/programs-workshops/tagline-focus-project/>

> >> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Mary Collins<nativedae at gmail.com>
> >>  wrote:
> >>
> >>  Great ideas guys, I'll check out the CDSS information, most of this is

 Alan Winston --- WINSTON at SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
 Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL   Phone:  650/926-3056
 Paper mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 99, 2575 Sand Hill Rd, Menlo Park CA   94025