[Callers] The Beginners' Lesson Tips?

Richard Hart rich at harts.mv.com
Sat Oct 8 07:34:35 PDT 2011

In addition to David's dances to the north, mixers, especially circle mixers are often used elsewhere in New Hampshire. This is certainly true. In Nelson where we always have lots of new dancers in the hall, especially in the summer time - many high school students who don't have homework to do, and young people at one or more local summer camps.

The is a circle mixer, as soon as the room fills with a lot of new people - often even 2 or 3 concentric circles. These mixers do help to get the new dancers to dance with experienced dancers, and they also allow the caller to speak to everyone from the middle of the circle(s), an to demonstrate tricky moves. To an absolute beginner everything and anything can be a mystery. (Lost and found is always in the middle..) And as David said happens in Europe at the end of the mixer, the caller, usually Don Primrose,  asks dancers to form lines with that last partner. Sometimes, if I finish the circle mixer with an experienced dancer who I know, we may split up to dance with someone who is still standing along the wall, to try to include everyone.

And it certainly has worked in Nelson. Many , many, of these young people who first learned to dance in Nelson in the summertime, return and have become very good dancers. They bring friends, and help to teach them what they like and know about the dances.

And similar mixers can usually be expected in most other New Hampshire dances, whether in Peterborough, Dover, Milford, Concord or elsewhere. It's a change of pace, and a way to say hello to some of the other dancers.

And I should also add that at the Ralph Page Dance Legacy Weekend (at the University of New Hampshire on the Martin Luther King weekend in January), we will feature a retrospective of the Nelson dances over the past 50+ years. We will only go back that long because that's about how far back the memories of current dancers and musicians go back - and because we only have 2 hours for the retrospective on Saturday afternoon. I hope we will be able to show how the Nelson dances have changed over the past decades (not many changes, but just enough..), and to keep people coming back, especially the younger dancers who will keep it going for the next half century.

Rich Hart.

David Millstone remarked on 10/8/2011 9:10 AM: