[Callers] The Beginners' Lesson Tips?

Read Weaver rweaver at igc.org
Tue Oct 4 13:47:14 PDT 2011

I quite agree that a walking swing is a crucial skill to learn (some
choreographies obviously work better with it), and a perfectly good
thing to start with. But I still think the buzzstep needs to be
taught, because it's easy to get it wrong. I've started attending a
couple of established but new-to-me dances and see people (not many
but some) who are obviously reasonably experienced contra dancers but
getting the buzzstep wrong, leading with the left foot rather than
the right (so it's a chasse). Because it has the same rhythm as a
buzzstep I suspect one could keep doing it forever unless explicitly
taught otherwise. (The fact that there's no one at these dances who
takes on that responsibility is an interesting thing to note, quite
different from my home dance.)