[Callers] The Beginners' Lesson Tips?

barb kirchner barbkirchner at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 3 05:59:05 PDT 2011

it really depends on the dance.  most of the dances i've called lately  have been MUC (modern urban contra) dances.  these large and energetic dances expect most new dancers to come to class and have a general knowledge of what's going on by the time the dance starts.  that's what makes the dance fun for this particular group.  they welcome beginners, but are happiest when things are really rocking.

i also call a fair number of barn dances and wedding party type dances, as well as some smaller, but regular, contra dances.

for the first group, i work on the swing during the beginner class, because if i don't, a fair number of well-meaning guys (who have done as i suggested and asked newbies to dance) on the dance floor will spend the first walkthrough trying to teach their newbie partner how to swing.  then they may have a vague idea of a swing, but no clue how the dance goes.

for the second group, circle mixers and other inventions that get everybody moving together are fabulous, and the details come later (if at all).

for either group, what seems to help newbies most is being able to figure out where to go.  that's good for experienced dancers sometinmes, too!  so i incorporate that into my calls and teaching.  for example, instead of saying gents allemande right 1 1/2 and swing your partner, i say gents allemande right until you see your partner, give her a swing.   for many, i think it's easier to think about who they're looking for, not how far is 1 1/2 or 3/4 or whatever.

in any case, the dance community seems to be growing in a lot of places - we must be doing something right.

ps - davey - are you calling the ff dance?  i got an email (used to live there, still on the list :-)

barb