[Callers] The Beginners' Lesson Tips?

Mortland, Jo j-mortland at neiu.edu
Sun Oct 2 12:59:02 PDT 2011

I like to teach newbies the first dance I am going to call.  This is after going over the giving of weight, walking in time to the music, how to hold hands, swing.  I do a few of the very basic moves, knowing that they will pick up the rest throughout the evening.

But I do teach them the first dance, partly to show how progression works, but also to give them a little head start - some familiarity with the way the dances actually work.

Jo Mortland
Chicago

Sent from my iPhone