[Callers] The Beginners' Lesson Tips?

Greg McKenzie grekenzie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 09:35:30 PDT 2011

David wrote:

> Greg's negative feelings about mixers are based on them being used as a
> form of social engineering, to get folks to partner up with people with whom
> they wouldn't normally.

Thank you David for stating this idea so clearly.  You are, once again,
treading very close to the real question: What is a dance caller and what do
they do?

My negative comments about mixers were directed only at their use as a ploy
for integrating the hall.  I am not adverse to mixers in general.  The key
concept is keeping the dancers informed about what is coming so that they *can
*act responsibly and prepare in advance.  It is the tactic of "springing" a
mixer on dancers unannounced that dis-empowers them.

If I were opposed to "social engineering" I would never advocate that anyone
become a dance caller.  I know of no other human endeavor that better
qualifies as "social engineering" than dance calling--and contra dance
calling in particular.  Social engineering is at the heart of what a contra
dance caller does.  I think we should strive to improve our social
engineering and I would like to see callers focus more on their role as
social engineers.  The tactic of "springing" a mixer on the dancers is,
simply, *poor *social engineering because it discourages dancers from being
proactive in partnering with newcomers.

I am enjoying this discussion and I would be interested in what other
callers on this list think of being called "social engineers."

- Greg McKenzie