[Callers] The Beginners' Lesson Tips?

Donald Primrose limerickfarm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 05:35:00 PDT 2011

Not a fan of lessons prior to a dance (although the best pre-dance is
done by Steve Zakon-Anderson).  My first dance with a large crowd of
beginners is a circle mixer.  A great dance to use is "Cabot School
Mixer" by Ted Sannella. It quickly.. and forgivingly introduces the
new dancer to several calls as well as the importance of the music.

 I particularly like mixing everyone together at the start of the
night.. I also ask that at the end of the mixer.. you ask whomever you
ended with to dance the next dance.  Thus new dancers and experienced
learn from each other.  In a circle dance you can also have a lost and
found (displaced dancers) in the center to get back into the dance.

In the summer the Nelson dance will have thirty or more new dancers
every week.. The circle works well.. and having a great local dance
community willing to ask a new face to dance is a blessing.

Don Primrose