[Callers] The Beginners' Lesson Tips?

Dorcas Hand handd51 at tekkmail.com
Sun Oct 2 12:21:32 PDT 2011

That the dance works in 8-step chunks, and the music tells you when the move is about to change.
You can use a circle formation to teach that, circle left and right , into the middle,  a few times while you doodle (preferable) or count (only preferable if you can't really sing).

Giving weight - or whatever term your community uses.  This is also teachable through the circle formation.

Swing basics, especially hand placement and the importance of mutual support.  A demo of the buss step is a bonus.

THEN, I move to the line formation and explain hands four, and progression.  I probably use a figure or two to demonstrate how the foursome moves within itself, and how to move to the new four.

It's a very full 30 minutes - but it works.
Dorcas Hand
Houston