[Callers] Marching Band Analogy

Jonathan Sivier jsivier at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 28 10:20:50 PDT 2011

On 6/25/2011 1:38 PM, Gretchen Caldwell wrote:
> One of those "aha!" moments:  A new contradancer here in Charlotte, after his
> first night dancing, said "Hey!  This is just like marching band!  I know I have
> 6 counts to get to the next place!"  Gonna see how I can incorporate that idea
> into Monday night's teaching...

    I always use this analogy when I'm leading a Grand March.  As the
lines of 4 separate and turn to go down the outside of the hall I remind
them that the people on the inside of the turn need to take smaller
steps than the people on the outside of the turn, just like in marching
band.

Jonathan
-----
Jonathan Sivier
Caller of Contra, English and Early American Dances
jsivier AT illinois DOT edu
Dance Page: http://www.sivier.me/dance_leader.html
-----
Q: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
A: It depends on what dance you call!