[Callers] Band, Sound and Caller Fees was: Caller Fees

Jeff Kaufman jeff at alum.swarthmore.edu
Thu Jun 23 05:48:49 PDT 2011

Jeff Kaufman wrote:

> So lots of people come for a while, then stop.  Some of the people
> who stay around are just people who really like dancing.  Many
> others, though, are ones who have broadened into other community
> roles: calling, playing, organizing, running sound.
>
> Maybe some musicians lose interest in dancing, like other people who
> lose interest in dancing, but instead of disappearing they remain
> somewhat connected, playing for dances?

I decided to make a graph of this for me:

   http://sccs.swarthmore.edu/~cbr/files/2006_2011.png

It's not perfect [1], but it does show that I've been performing more
and dancing less over time.  It also doesn't include organizing, which
is harder for me to measure, but has gone up a lot.

Jeff

 [1] Performing means calling, playing, or sitting in.  From
     2008-06-03 to 2008-09-09 I was working at pinewoods, where I did
     a lot of dancing and not very much performing, but I wasn't
     recording activities.  I hurt my knee in march 2011, and while it
     is mostly better I've been dancing less.  During the school years
     2006-2007 and 2007-2008 I was going to swarthmore folkdance class
     regularly, so it's not on the schedule.  I played for one class a
     week and danced for one class a week (at which I usually called
     one dance).  Those months could be bumped up by 3 in each (on
     average).  Data is from my past [2].  I started keeping that log
     about three months after getting into dancing, winter break
     2005-2006, though I had danced occasionally earlier.

 [2] http://sccs.swarthmore.edu/~cbr/past.html