[Callers] American Country Dances Online

Greg McKenzie grekenzie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 18:27:56 PDT 2011

I really appreciate the effort to get this database back on line.  It is a
valuable resource and some continuation of it would be a great contribution
to the dance form.  I have accessed it within the last year and found it
useful.

Owen's interface on line used very little of FileMaker's UI capabilities.  I
doubt that you would lose much to move to another format.  On the other hand
FileMaker Pro makes it very easy to update and maintain the database from
anywhere.  It could be maintained by multiple people.  Once you move to a
more "standard" database format the maintenance and expansion of the
database would be less accessible to folks without such technical
skills,...like me.

I suspect FileMaker Pro 4 was used because it was the first version that
allowed the easy publishing of a database on the Web.  It is amazing how
quickly you can get a database on line with FileMaker Pro.  I once built an
entire bug-tracking system and published it on line in four days using
FileMaker Pro!

I look forward to seeing what develops.

- Greg McKenzie