[Callers] Marching Band Analogy

Martha Edwards meedwards at westendweb.com
Sat Jun 25 12:43:50 PDT 2011

Oh indeed!

One of our best English Country dancers here swore she had never danced,
that none of her friends thought she would ever dance. But who remembers the
moves to every dance (long and complicated ones too)? Who became one of our
very best caller/teacher/explainers? This I-never-danced-before girl -- who
played in her high school marching band.

I you haven't spent years dancing International or Scottish before you
become a contra or English dancer, I think the best way to go from zero to
60 in two seconds is to have been in a marching band.

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Gretchen Caldwell
<gretchendance at yahoo.com>wrote:

> One of those "aha!" moments:  A new contradancer here in Charlotte, after
> his
> first night dancing, said "Hey!  This is just like marching band!  I know I
> have
> 6 counts to get to the next place!"  Gonna see how I can incorporate that
> idea
> into Monday night's teaching...
> Gretchen Caldwell
> Charlotte, NC

For the good are always the merry,
Save by an evil chance,
And the merry love the fiddle
And the merry love to dance. ~ William Butler Yeats