[Callers] Band, Sound and Caller Fees was: Caller Fees

Martha Edwards meedwards at westendweb.com
Wed Jun 22 13:11:13 PDT 2011

Good point!

Many years ago I read that mailing lists (remember them? Not e-mail
distribution lists, but actual mail mailing lists.) shrink about 15% a year.
I've noticed about the same effect in dance communities. So the group I
dance in has less than a half dozen of the dancers I danced with when I
started dancing about 15 years ago which is almost exactly 15% loss each
year!

In any case, it's a nicer thought than "The ingrates started treating us
like dirt as soon as we started paying them more."

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Jeff Kaufman <jeff at alum.swarthmore.edu>wrote:

> Martha Edwards wrote:
> >I just looked at our list of bands, and there's only
> > one person - okay, two - listed in our local contra dance bands that
> > regularly dance with us any more. Is that normal in your
> > communities?
> >

> The model in my head is a turnover based one.  There's relatively high
> turnover for dancers.  If I go to the scout house now, maybe 1/3 were
> dancing when I used to go there regularly in 2006.  So lots of people
> come for a while, then stop.  Some of the people who stay around are
> just people who really like dancing.  Many others, though, are ones
> who have broadened into other community roles: calling, playing,
> organizing, running sound.
>
> Maybe some musicians lose interest in dancing, like other people who
> lose interest in dancing, but instead of disappearing they remain
> somewhat connected, playing for dances?
>
> Jeff

For the good are always the merry,
Save by an evil chance,
And the merry love the fiddle
And the merry love to dance. ~ William Butler Yeats