[Callers] mental health and dance calling

Martha Edwards meedwards at westendweb.com
Fri Jul 8 15:13:26 PDT 2011

I handle it slightly differently. When I get a report of creepy behavior, I
give the person the opportunity to deny it (because they generally will, I
find), and say "Between you and me, I'm going to assume it was an accident.
So we're okay. Just be sure you figure out what it is that you might be
doing, accidentally, that causes people to report that you are making them
uncomfortable. As far as I'm concerned, if I never hear about it again, it
never happened."  In all cases, the person continued to try to convince me
no harm was meant (while I'm thinking "milord doth protest too much..."),
but kind of stopped showing up for a while (showing that I got through to
them), then came back and behaved for a long period. Not forever - "that"
sort of thing is usually pretty deeply ingrained - but enough to keep the
dance community safe and pleasant for a while.

It sounds as if the fellow you described was a bit more committed to bad
behavior than the ones I've dealt with, and it may be that I can be "nicer"
because I'm a woman, but I would like always to try compassion first. For
one thing, if I tell a new dancer whom I overhear complaining about a creepy
person that I'll talk to the person, nicely and anonymously, it sends the
message that it's okay to let us know because they don't have to take the
responsibility for having caused the person to be kicked out or whatever,
and it also sends the message that we really do mean it about being civil,
which makes it a safe place for the new person as well.

Still, that guy sounds pretty dreadful. I wish he could get some help.