[Callers] Calling for dancers with disabilities

Chrissy Fowler ktaadn_me at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 12 05:00:38 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm calling a couple of community dances this summer for a non-profit
that mentors adult artists with varying developmental disabilities.  A
high proportion of the dancers will be their clients, or other
similarly-disabled clients of the parent organization.   The mentors
and other agency staff will be on hand to dance as well.  We're all very
 excited that this is happening, and I want to be sure it's a successful
 experience for the dancers, especially those with disabilities.

Thanks for generous suggestions thus far!  I wanted to clarify that these are not primarily folks in wheelchairs.  Their disabilities include Down Syndrome, autism, and mental illness, and the parent agency's mission is to assist adults and children with disabilities
to obtain a full and inclusive life in their chosen community.

I'm working on this with the agency staff too, but also wondered if any of my caller peers had direct experience with creating a successful dance experience for folks with such disabilities.

Chrissy Fowler
Belfast, ME