[Callers] Calling for dancers with disabilities

Cynthia Phinney online at starleft.org
Tue Apr 12 03:09:21 PDT 2011

My band, the Racket Factory, played for a dance at a home for
developmentally disabled adults last summer. Hank Washburn did the calling
for us that night, and worked up a number of dances that could work for
dancers in wheelchairs pushed by staff from the home. I have been meaning to
type them up and post them, but am swamped at work at my day job this season
and have not gotten to it. I do, however, have his notes for the evening in
a scanned pdf and that would probably help you. I will email them to you
offline.

The dance was supposed to be outside under a tent or in the parking lot, but
the evening of the dance brought not just rain but wild thunderstorms.
Because of the metal in the chairs, the residents are not allowed outside in
thunderstorms and so we ended up doing the dance in the cafeteria, which was
carpeted. The carpeting provided sufficient extra resistance for the
pushers, not to mention the more cramped space, that we had to modify the
dances as we went but it worked out very well and I'm sure Hank's notes will
give you some ideas from which you can modify to meet your needs.

-cynthia