[Callers] What makes a caller a great caller?

Richard Mckeever macmck at ymail.com
Tue Apr 12 16:31:04 PDT 2011

Can I offer another 2 cents worth?

Every notice how when we have one of the great callers - the dancers listen to
every words and follow the directions more readily?  That is not an accident -
but a real skill.  Everything they say is important - even if they are just
thanking the sound guy.  They sound natural and sincere.  There is no idle chat
or filler.  Confidence is very high.  Often you feel like they are talking
directly to you 1-1.  This lets them 'get away' with shortened teaching
intervals and more successful dances while complimenting and encouraging the
dancers.  These callers just make me feel better.

Not sure how to make that happen - but pay attention next time you are
privileged to dance to one of the top callers.

Example - one square I like to call is the Chinese Fan. I have not found an
effective way to teach it and usually struggle through a couple tries until I
think everyone has the basic idea.  I have listened to Kathy Anderson teach this
several times (once I asked her to call the dance just so I could observe her
teaching).  She gives a couple quick directions that would never work if I did
it and suddenly everyone is ready to dance - and I still haven't figured it out.

Mac