[Callers] Looking for the Family Dance called Zodiac

Martha Wild mawild at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 23 12:22:59 PDT 2010

In case you don't have the lyrics, here's the version I've done with
motions. I always do it with a partner as part of the dance because
they see what I'm doing and do it along with, no explaining necessary.

People line up with a partner across from them, and take crossed
hands to start, facing across the set. The hands pump back and forth
(sort of a sawing motion) while the first line is sung. There are
movements for each set of lyrics in the song - I'll put them under
the words.
The tune for some of the  lyrics is like the first part of Shortnin'
Bread (Mama's little baby...  etc.), the tune for others is like the
second part (Called for the doctor, doctor said.....) I'll write Tune
A or Tune B

1) Here comes Zodiac, Zodiac, Zodiac, here comes Zodiac all night
long. (Repeat). (Tune A)
	Hands crossed with sawing motion across set as mentioned above.
2) Step-back Sally, make a little alley, step back Sally all night
long. (One time on all the rest)(Tune A)
	Drop hands, hold hands up to sides (like stick-em-up) and rotate
hands back and forth rapidly while stepping back away from partner to
make an "alley" down center of set.
3) Here comes Sally, walking down the alley, here comes Sally, all
night long. (One time) (Tune A)
	The top couple saunters hand in hand down the set, while everyone
puts one hand out toward them, palm up and follows them down the set
with it (usually right on right hand side and left on left - you
don't have to say, just show, and it usually happens that way)
4) I looked down the alley, and what did I see? A big fat man from
Tennessee (Tune B)
	Hand flat above eyes as if looking far off up the alley for first
part, then hands delineate a large belly.
5) I betcha five dollars, you can't do this: (This part is first part
of Tune B) Front, back, side side side, front back, side side side
(this part is essentially chanted while it's done)
	Hold up five fingers for the five dollars, then drop hands and jump
forward, backward, and then to right left and right again rapidly in
time with saying it, and do that jumping again.
6) Called for the doctor, the doctor said, "Ooh, aah, I've got a pain
in my head!" (Tune B mostly)
	Hands to mouth as if calling, then point to head. This word can
optionally be changed during the dance - elbow, neck, knee, toe,
whatever and point as appropriate
7) Everyone says "Ooh, Aah, Ooh, Aah, Ooh, Aah, Ooh, Aah" as they
move one step at a time towards their partners again and take hands.

Dance repeats with new people walking down the alley. Goes as long as
seems appropriate. If you make the motion for each part really big
everyone knows what you'll be doing.