[Callers] Gender free dances

cathy jones susanma1950 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 15:26:46 PST 2010

I call a fair number of dances that include novices, among them children who
often prefer to dance with someone of the same gender.  I've gotten into the
habit of using "suns" and "moons" to distinguish roles, which they bget a kick
out of.  When I've been in situations where I'm calling to non-novice adults and
there is a gender imbalance, I've asked if they would prefer gender-free terms.
The overwhelming response has been negative.

Susan Elberger
Arlington, MA