[Callers] Telling couples to switch at the end of a contra set

Greg McKenzie gregmck at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 1 17:53:04 PST 2010

Mark,

This is a great question that is more profound than it looks.  I
think you are spot on in your assessment that this reminder is not
necessary.  In fact I would submit that reminding dancers of this is
counter-productive for two reasons:

First:  The reminder to cross over at the ends of the set can cause
consternation among newcomers who must now remember another "rule"
that might trip them up.  This communicates, by implication, that the
dancing will be more difficult than it actually is.

Second:  The reminder is, in fact, absolutely unnecessary unless the
caller assumes that at least some of the newcomers will be paired up
with other newcomers.  This is an important point.  When the caller
gives this instruction it is implied that the caller expects some
newcomers to dance with each other.  Thus the caller is giving
implied permission for the regulars to leave the newcomers to fend
for themselves.  Consider the alternative: If the caller never gives
this instruction it is implied that she expects ALL newcomers to be
paired up with more experienced dancers.

Thus by leaving this instruction out the caller is inviting the
regulars to take a proactive and essential role in partnering with
newcomers.  The same can be said for many other instructions, such as
what to do if a couple leaves the set, or how to line up into contra
lines.  Why not assume the support of all of the regulars and
actually give them an important role to play in partnering with
newcomers?  There is no need to state this explicitly.  The regulars
will note the lack of this information, see that they have a role to
play, and will welcome the chance to guide newcomers.  It is much
more fun to dance with newcomers if you can "show them the
routine."  Leaving out this information actually makes it more fun to
dance with newcomers.

What you do NOT say communicates important information, and is often
a better way to make the point.  If you want newcomers to be welcomed
and embraced by the regulars then leave this kind of task to them and
thus give the regulars a vital role to play.  This is much more fun
for the regulars than just standing still while listening to the
caller explain something that they could show the newcomer in a
fraction of the time.  I have been calling this way for years.  I
have never had a problem with newcomers missing the information, and
I am convinced that it subtly encourages the integration of newcomers.

Just a thought,

Greg