[Callers] Telling couples to switch at the end of a contra set

Lisa Sieverts lisa at lisasieverts.com
Wed Dec 1 17:24:16 PST 2010

We never cross over in Nelson -- the next dance might be Money Musk or
Chorus Jig or ...

Lisa

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Ric Goldman <timelord at rgoldman.org> wrote:

> I always include "Hands 4 from the top, actives cross over if you haven't
> already" if that's what I want for configuration (and I
> try to use varied configurations where possible).
>
> FWIW, this is NOT ingrained behavior for first-timers, and surprisingly a
> number of experienced dancers don't do it unless prompted.
> Unfortunately, for those who DO do this on autopilot, it reinforces the "I
> can keep chatting - I don't have to listen to the caller
> yet" attitude that can make it a bit longer to start things.
>
> That said, I try to vary the intro instruction, a la, "take hands in a
> group of 4, facing up or down the line - gents, make sure
> your partner is on your right."  It's just different enough that some
> people wake up who might now otherwise.
>
> With a particular noisy group, I may start with "ok, and now the 2nd figure
> is" and wait for someone to ask for me to restart from
> the beginning.  :-)
>
> I'd been curious what others' experiences have been.
>
> Thanx, Ric Goldman

Become a Monadnock Co-op
Member!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103582272438&s=522&e=001yMXrq9ir0gBX7ESCD5f3qAy3s-hBfhWCr-aXEvNXEappa8BMWBkPMIpbXiUIvJ0GA0-IJ7h7iGpvzQe1dQBqOmxJqmZvaOOAJCQz7y3uLog=>
Join
to enjoy great food and invest in our community's future.