[Callers] Teaching a Ricochet Hey

Martha Edwards meedwards at westendweb.com
Tue Dec 7 13:32:52 PST 2010

I find that if it's a regular hey (ladies start by the right shoulder) a
ricochet hey feels a bit like a reverse Mad Robin - walking a sort of dosido
track while facing across - adding, of course, the push-off...

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM, John Sweeney <info at contrafusion.co.uk>wrote:

> The key thing for the caller to understand is that when the two dancers
> ricochet they take each other's place in the hey, and are now going
> backwards.
>
> This means that they must NOT just bounce back the way they came, or to
> a neutral position on their own side - they have to follow the looping
> flow of the hey.
>
> I never actually explain that though.  I just tell them to bounce back
> at the opposite angle to the way they came in.  Describing it as a
> triangle usually helps. And one quick demo usually solves 90% of the
> problems.
>
> The other 10% of the problems come from people who bounce back and then
> stop!  They are still part of the hey and have to keep moving.
>
> So instructions like these sometimes work: "As you come to the middle
> you will meet someone on a diagonal; bounce off that person and head
> backwards on the other diagonal, then move left* and come in again; you
> are going around the same triangle over and over again."
>
> *or right, depends on the dance.
>
> Note: As you bounce you change direction by just under 90 degrees, it is
> very easy to let that rotation continue and throw a couple of spins in
> :-)
>
>            Happy dancing,
>                        John
>
> John Sweeney, Dancer, England   john at modernjive.com 01233 625 362 &
> 07802 940 574
> http://www.modernjive.com for Modern Jive Events, Instructional DVDs and
> Interactive Maps
> http://www.contrafusion.co.uk for Contra Dancing in Kent

For the good are always the merry,
Save by an evil chance,
And the merry love the fiddle
And the merry love to dance. ~ William Butler Yeats