[Callers] Gender free dances

Greg McKenzie gregmck at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 5 10:30:38 PST 2010

I was hired to call a dance and noticed, when I arrived, that there
were only two other men in the room besides myself.  When I commented
on this I was informed that the group who hired me was a local
lesbian club.  They specifically asked that I not make any
accommodations, even though many of them were new to contras.  I
believe that they made a point of NOT informing me of their makeup
specifically so that I would not try to dance around the gender specific terms.

It worked out very well.  All had a great time, and this in spite of
the fact that there were also two deaf dancers in the room as well.

Attitude is a key factor.  I understand a lot of dances were called
here in California at mining towns during the gold rush.  The men
danced with each other and half of them played the part of ladies.  I
don't think they ever asked for "gender neutral" terms.  A few shots
of whisky probably helped as well.

- Greg

*******