[Callers] Gender free dances

Jim McKinney stringtet at charter.net
Sat Dec 4 21:08:36 PST 2010

There's my inexperience showing.  Beckett formation never even crossed
my mind.

Something I have been thinking about in regard to this gender free
discussion is ladies chain with a courtesy turn.  Having Evens/Ns/Bares
chain removes gender from the language but the act of courtesy turn
still seems very dominant/submissive to me.  My wife and I tried walking
through a couple options: a skater's/promenade hand-hold in front or a
no hand-hold, kind of gypsy to maintain the interaction and still get
turned around the right way.  The thing we decided we liked best was
evens chain across to an allemande left.  That seemed to keep the roles
more neutral no matter which part was danced by a man or woman and still
get everyone into the right places.

I love ladies chain with a courtesy turn and as a dancer would hate to
give that up but as a caller I think I need to be prepared for the
occasion when neutral is better.
Jim