[Callers] Gender free dances

JD Erskine sailargh at victoria.tc.ca
Thu Dec 2 14:54:17 PST 2010

On 02/Dec/10 10:02, susie rudder wrote:
snip
>     asked me to use non gender specific terms when calling. I tried
>     'lead' and 'follow' because the syllable numbers worked, but I'm not
>     happy with that.

Haven't, yet.

These folks dance ECD & SCD, may find some of their terminology useful.
-
Gender Free dance terminology - Heather and Rose Country Dancers
http://heatherandrose.org/terms.shtml
A bit more in About Us.
---
Seattle has started a Rainbow Contra, now at third monthly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhdtBIEEGaw

Listening to Amy & Tom Wimmer call, it doesn't seem it need be too
difficult. I like the idea of coding some of one's dance directions for
what one wants to say rather than having to initially remember to
translate it on the fly.

You might write them for ideas, via Judy @ the Rainbow Contra page or
via Emerald City Contra. http://seattledance.org/contra
---
While this 1999 article supports the Bare & Bands
http://www.bostonphoenix.com/archive/features/99/09/16/DANCING.html
I'd agree that I'd feel uncomfortable using physical tags, and names
going with that, for all the reasons mentioned thus far. Also I'd wish
to avoid words I'd be more likely to stumble over or not have heard and
interpreted well. Cari Ravitz has some thoughts on "mushy" words.
http://ravitz.us/dance/call.php#2 A more optimal selection may yet be
discovered, maybe here.

For now I'd probably select Lead & Follow.

Cheers, JD

-----
No virus found in this message.