[Callers] Gender free dances

susie rudder surudder1 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 10:02:54 PST 2010

   I have been asked to call for a new dance group forming in a small town
   near our regular dance. Experienced dancers were asked to come help
   these absolute newbies, and some local musicians have volunteered their
   services. It became obvious that about half the dancers were lesbians
   who asked me to use non gender specific terms when calling. I tried
   'lead' and 'follow' because the syllable numbers worked, but I'm not
   happy with that. I also had some regular dancers comment on not wanting
   to deal with 'some' peoples' political agendas as related to contra
   calling. I have never dealt with gender free calling and would
   appreciate ANY help from those of you who may have been doing it for
   years. What terms seem to work best? Any other hints to make things go
   more smoothly?  These people are very enthusiastic and I want to see
   the dance succeed.