[Callers] "Hands Four From the Top" Instruction

Greg McKenzie gregmck at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 1 18:14:21 PST 2010

Contrary to the action of switching at the ends of the set, this
instruction is a part of set management.  In fact it also helps to
manage the focus of the dancers.

I always give out set formation instructions.  In addition to forming
the sets properly these instructions give important cues to the
dancers to help them gracefully transition from conversations in the
set into listing to instructions during the walk-through.  Ending a
conversation politely and graciously takes time.  The instruction of
"Please take hands in groups of four from the top," gives the dancers
a cue that the caller will soon be moving into the walk-through phase
of the slot.  I try to allow about 20 seconds or so for the hands
four to propagate to the bottom of the line.  Then I say "Number ones
please cross over," if appropriate.  I say this even if ALL of the
dancers have crossed over already.  This command tells the dancers
that the walk-through instructions will begin very shortly and that
they must quickly finish their story or anecdote and begin listening.

These cues, given clearly and not too loudly, will set a tone of
politeness and consideration.  I much prefer this to callers who use
the volume of the PA system to interrupt conversations on the
floor.  People will quickly learn the "drill" and will respond by
helping the caller to make a smooth transition.  This approach also
lowers the volume level in the room and builds a cooperative
relationship with the caller.

Another thought,

Greg