[Callers] Telling couples to switch at the end of a contra set

Ric Goldman timelord at rgoldman.org
Wed Dec 1 17:03:11 PST 2010

I always include "Hands 4 from the top, actives cross over if you haven't already" if that's what I want for configuration (and I
try to use varied configurations where possible).

FWIW, this is NOT ingrained behavior for first-timers, and surprisingly a number of experienced dancers don't do it unless prompted.
Unfortunately, for those who DO do this on autopilot, it reinforces the "I can keep chatting - I don't have to listen to the caller
yet" attitude that can make it a bit longer to start things.

That said, I try to vary the intro instruction, a la, "take hands in a group of 4, facing up or down the line - gents, make sure
your partner is on your right."  It's just different enough that some people wake up who might now otherwise.

With a particular noisy group, I may start with "ok, and now the 2nd figure is" and wait for someone to ask for me to restart from
the beginning.  :-)

I'd been curious what others' experiences have been.

Thanx, Ric Goldman