[Callers] Not always the caller's fault!

Chris Weiler (home) chris.weiler at weirdtable.org
Wed Apr 14 03:31:29 PDT 2010

I think there needs to be a distinction between what is really happening
in the hall and the stance that we take from the microphone. There are
hundreds of variables that are all outside of our control at a dance. We
pretend to have control, but all we can do is influence. It is our
responsibility to use that influence to try and help everyone have a lot
of fun. But you're not going to be able to stop some problems from
happening.

That said, there is a lot of power in taking responsibility from the
microphone for problems, even when it's not your fault. Some have been
listed here already. It puts people at ease. They can relax and enjoy
the next dance without being overly focused on what went wrong. It
reinforces your authority when lines falling apart are creating a
feeling of chaos. And sometimes, it really is your fault. ;)

I had this happen at a recent dance. I called a very simple dance, but
it is constructed symmetrically, so sometimes it can be difficult to
know if you're in the As or the Bs. The second time through the dance, I
called "neighbor" instead of "partner" and half the hall believed me and
the other half didn't. Everyone was in a different place very quickly.
After seeing that I couldn't get everyone back to the same place to
recover after a couple of attempts, I stopped the music and immediately
announced "Sorry, folks, my fault completely. Let's try this again." The
crowd erupted in applause! They lined up and we started again without
any further trouble. People respond to humility and to people who take
responsibility for their actions. It humanizes you in their eyes and
they'll cut you a lot of slack for it.

Chris Weiler
Goffstown, NH