[Callers] Integrating Dancers, was "Spreading out the Inexperience"

Chris Weiler (home) chris.weiler at weirdtable.org
Tue Jan 27 05:39:50 PST 2009

This is a big subject. There is a lot we can talk about and debate. It
is indeed easier to call for an experienced crowd than it is for newer
dancers and when you're working with a mixed crowd, it is easier when
they truly mix instead of "clumping" beginners to beginners and
experienced to experienced dancers.

I would challenge the thought that there is much that the caller can do
besides gently encouraging the dancers to mix. In my mind, this is the
responsibility of the organizers and the core group of regulars who come
to the dance series. They do much more to decide how welcoming and
successful they are in integrating newer dancers into the community. If
they're not being aware and saying to their friend "Hey, that new couple
is dancing with each other, let's see if we can break them up." Or
"Sally, this is Bob. Bob, Sally is new tonight and needs a good dance
partner and I thought of you, would you dance with her?" All callers can
do is offer encouragement to do this sort of thing. The organizers and
core group of experienced dancers can set the example for others to
emulate. I disagree that if the dancers are failing to integrate the
newer dancers that this is a failing of the caller.

In my experience, the dancers are attending the dance with a certain
expectation of how the evening is going to be. They expect the caller to
be competent, concise and encouraging. They have a certain amount of
trust and patience that if the caller does something outside of their
expectations or new it will be fun or they will learn something. The
more the caller wastes their time with manipulation and over-teaching,
the less patience they have with it. If you're not careful, you loose
their trust completely and don't get asked to return. More than one or
two walkthroughs, manipulating the sets by moving dancers around,
reminders from the mic to dance with new people are fine if used
sparingly. If used too much will become preachy and lecturing.

Some of the comments that I will use early in the evening, maybe one
every other dance or one per dance if the dancers are not responding. I
don't repeat them if I can help it:

"Find someone who was sitting out to dance with for this next dance"
"Find someone to dance with you've never danced with before"
"If you're new tonight, dance with experienced dancers, and you'll learn
quickly"
"Thank your partner, thank the band and find someone new to dance with"

or if I'm really desperate:
"Who here has been dancing a while and is comfortable dancing with
someone who is new to dancing? Keep your hands up. If you're new and
want some help, go ask one of these people to dance."

I will use mixers in a dance because I feel that they have value in
themselves. It allows the experienced dancers to come in contact with as
many new people as possible. It's a great lesson for the new dancers in
how different each person's dance style is and how to dance with them.
It's also one of the best swing tutorials that I know for beginners who
are only dancing with their friends who are also new. I also think that
it's a great way of opening people's eyes to people they might not have
chosen to dance with before. It's a great way to build community. If I
am dancing and ask a beginner to dance and it turns out to be a mixer,
then I will ask them to dance the next one. Then they get the experience
of the mixer and still get the benefit of dancing with me.

My perspective is that the more the caller says from the microphone,
beyond the minimum needed to lead the dancing, intrudes on the dancer's
enjoyment of the music, the dance and their friend's company. The more
time spent teaching or lecturing or manipulating is less time talking to
friends and dancing to music. I have had people tell me that what they
enjoy most in a caller is how invisible they can be. If all they notice
is the fun of dancing and the great music, then the caller is doing
their job right.

my 2 cents

Chris Weiler
Goffstown, NH