[Callers] which hand (Delia Clark)

Alan Winston - SSRL Central Computing winston at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 27 15:34:34 PDT 2009

Jerome wrote:

> Cary Ravitz explains one way to diagram a dance on his web page:

> http://ravitz.us/dance/chor.php#d

> Tom Hinds includes diagrams in his book "Calling New England Squares."

> There are other more graphical methods. In general, for each move in a dance
> diagrams should indicate where dancers are, differentiate between men and
> women, between ones and twos (or 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s, heads and sides in a
> square). It's also very helpful if the diagram indicates which direction the
> dancers are facing. You'll very quickly realize which moves or series of
> moves are "neutral," i.e., put everyone back where they just were, facing
> the same direction.

> If you know Flash or some programming language, you can get really fancy, as
> did Martha Edwards:

> http://www.westendweb.com/doublegrandsquare/

> (Actually, Cary is a programmer, but he's very aware that not all of us are,
> so he keeps his web page pretty accessible).

Thanks for those references!

> And of course, there's always salt and pepper shakers....

I like coins.  (Different denominations for different numbers - pennies,
nickels, dimes, quarters tells you who's who in a square, face-up or face-down
for  gender, and you can have them face one way or the other.)

-- Alan

 Alan Winston --- WINSTON at SSRL.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU
 Disclaimer: I speak only for myself, not SLAC or SSRL   Phone:  650/926-3056
 Paper mail to: SSRL -- SLAC BIN 99, 2575 Sand Hill Rd, Menlo Park CA   94025