[Callers] emerging artists

David Casserly david.j.casserly at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 15:35:47 PDT 2009

Richard,

The dance is January 16.  I hope to see you there!

On topic, I've pasted all of Nathaniel's dances below, with his comments,
for those of you who'd like to see them.

-Dave

American Gothic Duple imp.
A1 8 Mad Robin (men start outside, women inside)
8 Women Al L 1½, keep left hands and pick up partner
A2 8 Star promenade ½ (women inside), whirl
8 Men start ½ hay R
B1 16 Partner Bal + Swing
B2 8 LL F+B
8 Circle L ¾, pull by up and down to new neighbors

The second dance I wrote was loon on the lake. It had some flow problems and
so there's now a version 2. I don't keep version 1 around anymore, because I
don't think it's worth dancing, so make sure you're up to date! The only
thing I wish was different is I'd like the orbit to go straight into a swing
(with no balance) but 16 beats of swing alone is too much I think.

Loon on the Lake v. 2 Becket L
A1 8 Circle L ¾
8 Neighbor Swing
A2 8 LL F+B
8 Star L 1ce
B1 8 New women ½ hay L (men loop right to join, passing partner R)
8 Women Al L 1ce, men walk around clockwise ½ way around to home side
B2 16 Partner Bal + Swing

Named after my old Morris team, the high-school age team led by Tom Kruskal.
This is not a great dance in my oppinion, but I wrote it so here it is. It's
ok, I guess. The *'s below are because my card had "left" in those places,
but while typing it up I though it made the dance a little to weavy and
pushed the timing a little, so they're rights now. Do it whichever way you
like better.

Great Meadows Becket R
A1 2,6 Men pass L, Neighbor Al L 1ce (Susie Q?)
2,6 Men pass R, Partner Al R 1½
A2 4 On Right Diagonal : Women pass R*
12 New Neighbor Swing, face across
B1 8 Women Al R 1½
8 Shadow Gypsy R* 1½
B2 16 Partner Bal + Swing

My breakout dance! The first time I heard someone I didn't know and didn't
personally give the dances to call a dance I wrote was when Nils Fredland
called Dead Cat Bounce at the Cambridge VFW (how I miss it). It's named
after my high-school Jazz ensamble leader's band, which is in turn named
after the economics term.

Dead Cat Bounce Duple Imp.
A1 16 Neighbor Bal + Swing
A2 4 Men Al L ½
4 Partner Al right 1ce
8 Men start ½ hay L, women ricochet (push off the hands of the other woman
to move back and to the right)
B1 8 Circle left ¾
8 Partner Swing
B2 8 LL F+B
8 Women Gypsy R 1½ to new neighbors

Who doesn't like pirates? Not me. This dance was meant to be as raucous as I
could make it, filled with stomping, spinning and swinging. It's fun.

A Pirate’s Life for Me Duple Imp.
A1 16 Neighbor Bal + Swing
A2 4,4 Pass though to a wave (pass the ocean), Balance
4,4 Spin right, men pass 2 and Al L 1ce to partner.
B1 16 Partner Bal + Swing
B2 8 Ladies dos `a dos 1½
8 Neighbor gypsy 1+ to new neighbor

This dance is actually named after an episode of Cowboy Bebop, which I think
is named after a Jazz tune or something. I called a dance this so that if I
published a collection of dances I wrote while I was a minor (these were all
written while I was 16 or 17) I could call it "speak like a child" because I
thought it was a good phrase. I guess this note is now "speak like a child".

Speak Like a Child Duple Imp.
A1 8 Men Al R 1½, back out to ring of 4
8 Circle left ¾
A2 4 Women roll your neighbor away up and down the set.
12 Neighbor Swing
B1 8 Women Al right 1½
8 Partner Swing
B2 8 Ladies Chain across
8 Star L 1ce

Need I ask again who doesn't like pirates? I was on a bit of a kick.

Walk the Plank Duple Imp.
A1 4,4 Neighbor balance, Al right ¾
8 Men Al left 1½
A2 16 Partner Bal + Swing, end facing down
B1 8 Down the hall in lines of 4, turn alone
8 Come back up, bend the line to a circle
B2 8 Balance the ring, spin right one place
8 Star left 1ce around.

This dance is named after, and actually written to a song by Flogging Molly
by the same name. You can't really dance it to the recording, but if you
wanted to listen to it it's pretty clear what the A and the B are and I
suppose one could learn to play them and do so for this dance. That would
make me pretty happy, especially because I don't expect anyone to do it.h

Selfish Man Duple Imp.
A1 8 Balance the ring, spin right, face away from your partner up and down
8 Shadow Gypsy, come back to your original rings
A2 8 Balance the ring, spin right
8 LL F+B
B1 8 Men gypsy 1½
8 Partner Swing
B2 8 Give + Take to the men’s side
8 Neighbor swing, turn away to a new ring of 4