[Callers] dances for 3 or 4 people

Richard Allen Fischer richardallenfischer at verizon.net
Mon Sep 1 12:29:18 PDT 2008

Well...

A)  Many simple contra dances can be done repeatedly by four people,
by shifting the orientation 90 degrees each time, and making your
partner your next neighbor each time. For example, if a dance starts
with Balance and swing your neighbor, and ends with Pass thru to a
new neighbor, just pass thru after the first time thru, face your
partner (your new neighbor) and repeat!

B)  About two years ago two sixth graders, one from Princeton, NJ,
one from Berea, KY, made up a nice dance for *one couple*:

A1  Lead up a double and back; lead up a double and cast down to face
each other
A2  Set to partner and turn single; dosido
B1  Balance and swing partner (end facing up)

It's a 24 measure dance and we had fun dancing it to Money Musk on
the Contra Chestnuts cd.

(I'm not neglecting the author's names. I'm sure they'd like the
dance shared, but I need to check with parents before sending out
their names.)

Richard