[Callers] 2 questions

Robert Golder robertgolder at comcast.net
Thu May 1 09:35:54 PDT 2008

Anyone who wants to call a contra medley would be well served by
carefully reading Greg's cautionary statements. Contra dancing, taken
as a whole, is meant at its foundation to be an inclusive,
community-building activity. On rare occasions we spice up that formula
by adding a twist, such as a medley. Medleys are exclusive at their
foundation, but can become inclusive if they are so well executed by
the band and caller that the dancers succeed, sometimes going beyond
their own personal expectations. Then the dancers will say "WE did it!"
(significantly, not "I did it!"), and so the occasional, very well
crafted medley may actually support the inclusive,
community-orientation of contra dance. But true opportunities to create
this dynamic at a regular, community contra dance are very small, so
small that I sense Greg would say it ought not to be tried at all. I
wouldn't go quite that far, but I'd come pretty close to it. There are
a few prerequisites. The caller must have previously worked with the
band enough times so that they have a easy rapport and know each
other's tendencies onstage. The caller must know his dancers, some
personally through prior experience, and the new dancers by accurate
assessment as he watches them interact with others on the dance floor
prior to the medley. And finally, the caller must know himself/herself.
The caller must be seeking to create a community dynamic by means of
the medley, and not merely trying to show everyone what a cool dude he
is with a microphone. The caller must know the dances backwards and
forwards and in his sleep. If you're still parsing out where bits of
choreography fall in a dance sequence, then calling medleys is not a
good idea. The caller must have the skill to call economically while
communicating fully, the poise to simultaneously pay attention to the
band and the dancers, and the common sense to shove the planned medley
back in his pocket, unused, forty-nine times out of fifty.  ... Bob

Robert Jon Golder
164 Maxfield St
New Bedford, MA 02740 USA
508-999-2486