[Callers] Zia Formation

Bob Isaacs isaacsbob at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 27 06:13:22 PDT 2008

Hello All;

Since we are mostly interested in contras and squares, I'd like to share with you what I've learned about a hybrid formation that combines contras and squares called zia formation (see the attached).  In the past year I've started writing and calling zias, and have found they can be a fun novelty for those audiences experienced enough to appreciate them.  Compared to another hybrid formation, grid squares, I have found they are harder to write but easier to dance, as they tend to stay aligned better and thus give dancers a more clearly defined path.  I'd certainly be interested if anyone on this list knows of other zia dances that have been used.

I hope you enjoy the discussion and the dances, and this gives you another way to bring fun to your dancers -

Bob Isaacs