[Callers] challenging contras

Chris Weiler chris.weiler at weirdtable.org
Tue Feb 19 17:02:26 PST 2008

Hi Richard,

[For those of you that are not subscribed to trad-dance-callers, this
thread has provoked quite a response and discussion from the membership.]

Richard, congrats on taking on the challenge of calling several sessions
at Down East. From experience, I know it takes some courage to reach and
do things that I haven't done before.

There are several things that can make a dance challenging. The trick is
deciding what you think the dancers are expecting. Some of the ways to
make a dance challenging:

No walk thru
Unusual/unfamiliar formation
Unusual/unfamiliar figures
Dances requiring "change of focus" (more on this below)
Figures that leave the minor set (shadow, future or past neighbor
interaction)
Poor flow (the next move is not the one they will expect or have
momentum to do)
Poor teaching (even the simplest dance can be challenging)
Any dance above the skill level of the dancers

I'm sure that there are other things that make a dance challenging, but
this list is just off the top of my head.

I would think that you would not want to call a dance that fit any of
the last three categories. No walk thru dances are not very challenging,
but do rely on the dancers knowing the figures cold. This is the only
category above where the dancers can still "turn off their brains" and
have an enjoyable dance experience. The others will require them to
think about what they are doing. I think that unusual formations and
figures speak for themselves. Dances that require "change of focus" are
dances that require them to change who they are dancing with in the
middle of the dance. i.e. Balance, Petronella spin one place to the
right and spin a half more to face new neighbors. Or balance long waves
on the side of the set, neighbor in your right hand, allemande left with
the next neighbor. There are many more. Figures that leave the minor set
should also be self explanatory. There are some fun reunion dances out
there that take you far away from your partner before reuniting you at
the last moment.

You can mix up these categories during your session, too. You can start
off with (or end with) a no walk thru dance, do one "wrack your brain"
dance in the middle and put a triplet or four-facing-four dance into the
program as well.

Please remember to remind everyone at the beginning of the session that
it is for experienced dancers only. Let them know that simpler dances
will be done across the hall in the auditorium.

Good Luck!! I hope this has helped.

Chris Weiler
Goffstown, NH