[Callers] Trouble Getting Gigs (very long)

Joy Greenwolfe joy2the at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 19 18:12:35 PDT 2008

Hi Tina,

I can commiserate with your dilemma and have lots of thoughts running
through my head about this.

I met a lot of resistance to getting booked in my local series for the
year after I went to Pinewoods, although they had actually sent me to
Callers Week.  (They said they had never heard me call, yet were never
in town when I called in the area.)  It was hard to get what felt like
dubious and disparaging remarks about my capability when they had not
even heard me!

An additional problem was my being occasionally too ambitious,
programming beyond my ability.  One organizer gave me a half dance and
loved me, but when I called a full dance, I belabored the teaching of
a complicated evening, and she gave me some very sharp remarks about -
We don't want a whole evening of complicated dances; we just want to
dance.  A good lesson in taking criticism, not overloading the
evening, AND sharpening up my teaching.

Several things helped me adjust and gain more experience.

I started contacting organizers and especially dance-bookers for
dances within a 1-4 hour  drive radius of me.  I'd look at online
schedules and look for openings. I'd "cold-call" email them,
introducing myself, acknowledging that I was fairly new but mentioning
a couple of my strengths and some of my recent gigs, then specifically
asking to be considered as a caller for one of their dances.  If there
was a particular dance slot I was interested in, I'd mention that
too.   Sometimes, they'd ignore me, but most often, they would say
"that's booked" and then contact me for another slot later.
Mentioning that I'd gone through Lisa Greenleaf's Caller's Course
never hurt!     Some series are just very leery of booking unknowns.
And sometimes a new booker had no idea I existed, so I had to do it
all over again.

So based on my experience, the first thing I'd advise is to expand
your range of potential gigs.  Experience is experience even if you
have to drive to get there.  Also, as one friend said, It's amazing
how much more talented you become when you come from 100 miles away!

Looking back, I can see that I did a number of things to maximize
those experiences.

Before a gig, I'd email the booker or whoever I could get ahold of
(dancers, other callers) and ask some questions about the dance
community: Experience level or "mix" of dancers I might expect,
numbers, hall quirks, whether they were open to other dance
formations, any dancer expectations, etc.  I'd encourage them to share
anything they thought might help me get a feel for their dancers.
Sometimes they don't give you much, but it's all good.  I learned that
organizers sometimes overstate/understate their dancers' abilities.
Don't forget to say that you need a place to stay after the dance if
you do!   At times, I'd even drive there to *dance* before I called
there to get a feel for the place.

When I first arrived to call a dance, I'd try to locate the organizer
(or person in charge), introduce myself the the sound crew and
musicians and clarify signals and preferences. All this helped to keep
lines of communication open.
I also started writing up the anticipated program for myself and the
band with each dance's alternates and characteristics (e.g. punctuated
A, swirly B, or no balances except a dramatic moment at the top of
B1), so we could plan ahead better.  Some bands love this, others are
very "meh" about it, but I found it works for me and often fosters a
more collaborative atmosphere with the band.

Then during the dance (or during the break), I'd check in with the
organizers/dancers/musicians. I ask the organizer if the dance length
feels right, if the level of dances is working for the crowd.  (I
don't necessarily grill them, just check in!) I ask the *musicians* if
the set length feels good to them.  I give the musicians feedback if I
thought a tune set or tempo worked particularly well.  I apologize if
I messed something up.

One reason for checking it is that if there is a mismatch in
expectations, sometimes you can set it right before you finish the
evening.  For instance, if someone thinks the dances are a little too
complicated/long or if the tempo is too slow/fast, it's easier to
adjust then and there rather than the following month.

After the dance, I thank the organizer for having me call for them
(even if things went poorly), acknowledge things I need to work on and/
or things that went well (usually if they have offered that info), and
say that I hope they'll have me back.   I also like to spread
appreciation to anybody who contributed. Give the musicians and sound
crew some love.

I have found that being open to feedback can be especially valuable,
not only for myself as a caller, but so that dancers, etc al feel they
are being heard.    Some people are all too eager to tell you
everything that you did wrong, but some people don't want to say
anything even if you have been annoying them in some way, so sincere,
constructive advice or feedback can be rare.  Appreciate those people
who give it. :)  I have also learned a tremendous amount from
recording my gigs. It's been sometimes painful, but wonderfully
instructive!

After a gig, I'd typically write up my notes about the evening, what I
tried, what went well, or didn't, ideas for what I might try next
time, etc.  I also pick over my program and see where program
sequences went well or could have gone better. For that matter, I
think abut how communication went with various people.   I've made
some major glitches at times, and it's always useful to reflect on
what I've learned.

Oh, and if I knew there were organizers in the crowd who might be
checking me out, I learned to tend toward a solid program of dances I
knew well rather than flashier, fancier things. Okay, maybe one. :)

Another thing that helped my teaching/experience was regularly
teaching the beginners workshop for a local dance. That gave me lots
of opportunity to try different ways/methods/sequences of teaching the
basics within a certain time period.  Any non-standard gig can also be
a valuable learning experience.  For that matter, any time you know
you will be traveling, see ahead of time if the local dance wants a
visiting caller. Sometimes that works out, sometimes not.

Also, as other people have mentioned, open-mic dances or house dances
can be a great way to get more experience. Some dance weekends have an
open calling session, so take advantage of that whenever you can!

It still took a long time for me to gain experience and become better
known.    ... After a while, local people started hearing that I was
calling other places... Eventually, they were willing to give me more
chances.  Even the first gig was just a beginning step.  And
sometimes, I still have to remind bookers that I exist and that I'm
interested in calling for their series.  Still breaking in to new area.

Traveling some is not a bad way to go.  Here, we have 20+ callers in
the same area (and more up-and coming!), so if I didn't travel at
least a bit, I'd not call much at all.  I enjoy the different flavors
of dancers and communities I get to work with, and the challenge of
putting together a good program for each.

So that's my 10 cents!  Hope there's something useful for you. :)

Good luck!

Joy Greenwolfe
Durham, NC